This article will cover the process of returning a part as part of a Core Exchange, for Credit or Replacement.
Items required to complete the steps:
A PO with a part that is eligible to be returned for a core refund, exchange or replacement.
Some parts are suitable for overhauling or rebuilding and thus retain value even after they have been removed and replaced. AvSight provides a way to process and track a part that is returned to the vendor as a Core Exchange. The Core Exchange process is integrated with many of the other parts of AvSight and will require information from other areas already covered in earlier articles. It is highly recommended that you complete all of the previous articles under Administration, Inventory Management and Sales first.
Creating a Core Exchange Return
Start by navigating to the Purchase Order tab in AvSight and selecting the original PO with the part to be exchanged.
Select Create Return from the Quick Actions Menu to open the Create Return dialog box. For the Return Type, select Return EX Core, select the line item to be returned and enter the quantity to be returned as well as the price to be credited if any credit will be issued for the returned core. Click Continue to select the inventory from which the core is to be taken.
In the Inventory screen choose the desired inventory line and click Create Return. There should now be an additional line item created in the PO to reflect the quantity of the returned item(s) as a negative number. In order to authorize the shipping team to process the part to be returned, the next step is to generate a Release. Select Generate Release from the Quick Actions menu to open the Generate Release page. The items specified will already be pre-selected on the screen.
Fill in any additional information required and click Release to generate the release and be returned to the PO page. Further processing of the release and shipping are covered in the article Working with Outbound Shipments. (See Related articles below.)
Returning items for credit.
Returning a part for credit uses the same process described above, but a price will be entered for the return. When the credit memo is sent from the vendor, it should be processed by selecting Pay from the Quick Actions Menu of the PO screen to finalize the return.
Returning items for replacement
If the return is for a replacement instead of credit or core exchange, there are two options:
1) Adding a new line to the PO. Follow the procedures outlined above for the return process to initiate returning the part, but choose Return Inventory rather than Exchange Core as the return type. Leave the price field blank in the return and process it as outlined above. When the return process is finished and returns to the PO, add a line item for the part number, including all of the information about the part and leave the price field blank since this part will be the replacement of the one being returned. The PO lines will look similar to this when finished:
- 1The line item of the original part ordered on the PO
- 2The line item of the part processed by the return procedure—note the negative quantity indicating that the part is to be returned.
- 3The additional line item added to replace the returned item.
2) Using a Repair Order. This is accomplished by creating a Repair Order in the normal fashion rather than using an existing PO as outlined in the previous methods (See Related Articles Below). In the Expected Part Condition select the condition in which the part should be returned. In the External Comments field, add comments explaining that the part is being returned for replacement rather than repair. It may also be beneficial to create a Repair Line type of Replacement in the Repair Type Master Table under Administration.